For over 50 years we’ve helped the people of Milton Keynes overcome the problems that affect their everyday lives. Since 1972 we’ve solved over 2.5 million separate problems and helped over 500,000 local residents to find a way forward.
Our small team of staff and volunteers provide free advice, advocacy and support to meet the needs of people who are living in severe hardship, struggling to overcome difficult family and financial circumstances.
Life is complicated. Sometimes people encounter challenges and problems that they don’t know how to deal with, and need help to overcome. These problems rarely come packaged up as a single issue. A change in income can quickly escalate into housing issues, health problems and rising personal debt.
Our service empowers and supports local residents to move towards financial stability while sustaining independence and confidence. Problems not only have direct consequences, but often have impact on other aspects of an individual’s life, including their health and wellbeing.
Of the thousands of people that contact us every year:
- Two-thirds experience stress, depression or anxiety.
- A third will have escalating financial difficulties.
- 1 in 5 will have to move home or worry about losing their home.
- 1 in 3 believe that their physical health had worsened before they sought advice.
- A fifth of all clients will experience relationship difficulties.
- 1 in every 8 will struggle to keep or find a job.
Knowing how and where to start addressing these and other problems, and to find a way forward, can be challenging when cause and effect are entangled. Being able to access free, impartial and confidential advice at the right time is essential.
Everyone has the right to an informed decision when making choices that affect their life.
Every community, needs a Citizens Advice service.